Monday, September 21, 2009

A Healthy Blood Score

 “The Heart Scan Blog” - http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/, for anyone with a history of heart disease in their family gene pool, is a valuable resource tool.  I have listed below what they deem the most important factors in measuring your risk for heart disease and what the ideal levels should be to minimize this risk.

 

I am scheduling some blood work to ensure I have close to these ‘ideal’ levels:

1.       Thyroid:

a.       TSH, less than 1 mlU/L

b.      Free T3, upper half of normal range (2.3 to 4.2 ng/dl)

c.       Free T4, upper half of normal range (0.8 to 1.9 ng/dl)

d.      Take Iodine to correct

2.       Vitamin D3:

a.       60-70 ng/ml year-round

b.      Take Vitamin D3 to correct

3.       Cholesterol:

a.       HDL – the higher the better, at least >50 mg/dl

b.      Small LDL – less than 50% of total LDL

c.       Lipoprotein(a) – an aggressive risk factor in itself

d.      Take Niacin to correct

e.      Take Fish Oil to correct

f.        Eliminate wheat, cornstarch, and sugars

 

I’ve also included what I plan to do if my levels come back less than perfect…

 

My wife just had her vitamin D and Thyroid TSH levels measured – and they came back perfect!

TSH = 0.027 mlU/L

Vitamin D = 65.4 nj/ml

No comments: