Friday, July 9, 2010

HIT with Negatives: July 9th

I’ve decided to change the name from Trainer’s choice week to HIT/Negatives…that’s basically what it amounts to.  “Chris Negative” of Pulse Gym believes strongly in negatives.  He says the negative portion of the exercise promotes far more micro-tearing in the muscle.  I can vouch that it is brutal and causes a much higher metabolic response than my normal HIT workouts.  It’s impossible to quantify the amount of improvement from week to week as we do reps instead of measuring time and the amount of negative force Chris adds is subjective, but that’s why I go back to normal HIT every other week.

 

For example in the Chin Up exercise I wear a belt around my waist. It’s attached by a chain and hook to a bar which is hinged from the base of the machine to about 5 ft behind me.  Chris lifts that as I step up to the chin up bar.  He then proceeds to push down on the bar, which pulls me down.  I fight to stay up…but eventually lose.  We play this game 4 or 5 times until I can’t put up a fight anymore.  Not fun, but the workout is great.

 

BIG metabolic effect on the leg extension exercise!  Chris Negative (not his real name) helps me lift the bar up and then stands on it, asking me to fight him and lower it slowly.  Overall, great workout.  I felt really shaky and wiped at the end.

 

HIT2

Last Workout

This Week

Increase

Kevin J Smith

22-Jun

9-Jul

% since

Exercise

Weight

Time (secs)

Weight

Time (secs)

initial

Comments

Lower Back

372

87

376

95

2%

MedX: 72 degrees

I Scap

2.5

60

2.5

60

0%

 

Add Retrac

5

60

7.5

37

50%

 

Chin Up

257

6X

126

5X

-65%

Ecentrix Machine

Leg Extension

270

4X

340

4X

13%

negatives only

Shoulder Lift

0

0

130

75

NEW! Negative only

Leg Press

800

82

680

2+, 3-, 5sec, 1-

-11%

with negatives

Chest Press

0

0

120

4x

0%

with negatives

 

No comments: