Friday, May 14, 2010

HIT Workout - May 14th

Trainer’s choice again today…

 

I started with the Lower Back extension and ditched the negatives on this exercise as they were difficult to add consistently…too subjective.  Went up 2 lbs at stable TUL.  Next exercise was new to me – a standing lat pull-down, starting with arms parallel to floor, and pushing down until the bar was touching my thighs, hold for 3, repeat.  Next exercise was negative chin-ups on the Ecentrix machine.  There’s a digital read-out of force as Chris slowly drops the bar I’m standing on and I fight to keep up…I hit 359 lbs on 1 of the 4 reps.  On the leg press he dropped my weight to 760 lbs and stood on the stack for negatives.  Then Chest Press, where I dropped my normal weight by 70 lbs and Chris stood on the stack for the negatives.

 

Finally, Chris had me do some exercises to stretch my chest and upper back…he claims by sitting at a computer all day we have a tendency to lose thoracic mobility (see the 2 posts on Mark’s Daily Apple: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-importance-of-thoracic-spine-mobility/ and http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-improve-thoracic-spine-mobility/ ) and our shoulders curve in.  I laid belly-down on an inclined bench and raised my arms in front of me (like I was flying), holding 2.5 lb weights, and held them for 1 minute ( which I barely made)…he called that I Scap.  2nd exercise I lifted my arms out to my sides, holding 5 lb weights, and tried to hold for 1 minute (I made it to 45 secs) – he called that Add Retrac

 

Lower Back                         370         89 secs

Stand Lat PD                       50           122 secs

Chin Up Neg                       4X           359 lbs

Leg Press w/ neg              760         84 secs

Chest Press w. neg          120         122 secs

I Scap                                    2.5          60 secs

Add Retrac                          5              45 secs

No comments: