Friday, February 5, 2010

HIT Workout - Feb 5th

Interesting comment on Doug McGuff's latest post, http://www.bodybyscience.net/home.html/.  He has started to perform the leg press in the middle of the big 5.  (Geesh, I could have told him that…it kicks up the metabolic rate so the last 2 exercises are being performed completely winded…)

 

My trainer, Chris, has noticed that quite a few of us Body By Science guys end up with shoulder impingements.  He recommends rotator cuff exercises on off-days.  True enough, me and my friend Jeff Erno, http://ernoj.blogspot.com/, have both had issues with this.

 

I worked out fasted with 9 grams of BCAAs taken 15 minutes before workout:

HIT

Last Workout

This Week

Increase

Kevin J Smith

28-Jan

5-Feb

% since

Exercise

Weight

Time (secs)

Weight

Time (secs)

initial

Comments

Lower Back

338

95

342

95

63%

ROM: 72 degrees

Pull-Over

190

112

192

88

75%

MedX

Chest Press

180

93

182.5

95

74%

MedX

Leg Press

816

91

820

94

52%

MedX

Pull down

150

72

150

85

50%

Super Slow

Overhead Press

288

73

288

75

80%

MedX

 

3 comments:

Doug McGuff, MD said...

Jeff's impingement was actually a supraspinatous strain incurred grappling during Jeet Kun Do (?spelling?)practice. We were able to work around it by adjusting his ROM. The injury did not occur as a result of BBS training.

Doug McGuff

Jeff said...

Hey Kevin,

Doug is right. It started after a grappling session of Jeet Kune Do where I was doing lots of pulling with my left arm specifically. My opponent was pulling on the back of my head with his left arms as well and left me with a sore upper back for 2 weeks. The left shoulder initially wasn't as bad but is taking longer to heal. I will be going back to JKD this week but it will be mostly kicks for a while.

Fortunately I have recently been able to up my ROM to full after 3-4 weeks of only doing the upper portion. I feel like I am getting my strength back pretty quickly.

jeff

Jeff said...

Nice workout, BTW. Another week of steady progress in weight and time.